Sarcophagus Fragment, Roman, ca. 240-250 CE, The Art Institute of Chicago

Monday, June 9, 2008

Getty Adds to Antiquities With Third-Century Work

Getty Adds to Antiquities With Third-Century Work

When the story first broke years ago about the Marion True/Robert Hecht illegal antiquities trading conspiracy, I was afraid that the end was near for the industry. I was concerned that great works would be crated up and sent over seas and that American museums would never again buy a Greek red-figure vase or Roman bust. Well, I didn't really think that would happen, but I was worried that museums would treat antiquities like they had some disease and stay far away from them. But, every time I hear of an institution obtaining a new piece, my fears are relieved. The new guidelines put in place by the Association of Art Museum Directors (see previous blog) will hopefully usher in a new ear for the antiquities trading industry, but illegal dealings are still a problem and unfortunately will continue to be so for a long time. But, at least museums are trying to right past wrongs and are continuing to enrich us with artifacts from the past.

0 comments: